When students are completing Math Word Problems they should be using the following steps:
8 Steps of Model Drawing
Setting Up the Model
- Read the entire problem.
- Determine who is involved in the problem. List vertically in the order each appears in the problem.
- Determine what is involved in the problem. List beside the "who" from the previous step.
- Draw unit bars of equal length. Solving the Problem
- Reread the problem, one sentence at a time, plugging the information into the visual model. Stop at each comma and illustrate the information on the unit bar.
- Determine the question and place the question mark in the appropriate place in the drawing.
- Work all computation to the right side or underneath the drawing.
- Answer the question in a complete sentence, or as a longer response if asked.