Leveled Literacy Intervention
View Events/Assignments for
What is LLI?
The Fountas & Pinnell Leveled Literacy Intervention System (LLI) is a small-group, supplementary intervention program designed for young children who struggle with reading and writing.
Who is LLI for?
LLI is designed to be used with small groups of young children who need intensive support to achieve grade-level competency. Participants include low-achieving children who are not receiving another supplementary intervention. English language learners can also benefit from LLI. Each LLI lesson provides specific suggestions for supporting English language learners.
What are the key features of the LLI lessons?
- A combination of reading, writing, phonics and word study
- Emphasis on comprehending strategies
- Attention to the features of nonfiction and fiction texts
- Specific work on sounds, letters, and words in activities designed to help children notice the details of written language and learn how words “work”
- Help for students in expanding their vocabularies
- Explicit teaching for fluent and phrased reading
- Opportunities to write about reading to learn a variety of writing strategies.